DIY TIPS FOR CANDLE CLEAN-UP

Don't you hate it when you pillar candles lose their shape? They either burn unevenly, drip out the side, or the top just gets all out of shape. Well here's a few tricks I've learned and do, that has helped to salvage not only pillar candles, but save tapers and reuse glass container candles as well.


Whenever I use tapers, I burn the bottom of them before placing into the holder. This helps to secure them, and keep them straight to burn evenly.



Cleaning out glass candle holders to reuse with tea lights helps
prevent these from ending up in a recycle bin (or the trash).


Nesting a frosted (Glade) holder inside a clear glass holder not only helps makes a small candle larger,
but it also helps save space when storing them.


Although I have tried to melt wax to refill candle holders with (just put wax into holder, place it in a microwave next to a cup of water, and start about 4 mins. on high and keep checking) I don't have long enough wicks - so for Summer, I used sand & tea lights.


Pouring tea lights out of their bag into a container helps them last longer, and makes it easier to walk around to change them for refills.



All those pretty pillars at Pottery Barn are nice but too expensive for my budget. I usually stock up on basic white or cream pillars from Target, or from Bed bath & Beyond when I have their coupons.


Although I've tried letting candles burn long enough to reach the perimeter, they still occasionally lose their shape. So with a cutting board and knife, I'll cut off excess to help re-shape them...


Letting the candle burn to the outside does help prevent that deep pit around the wick - that usually stops the candle from burning about half way through - and then what happens? It either ends up collecting dust or ends up in the trash.



The wax shavings are what can be recycled into another candle, if you have a long enough wick.




After cutting off the excess wax, I hold the candle at an angle to roll the (top) edge to help even it out.


And occasionally, when a pillar gets stuck inside of a glass holder, I'll fill the holder with warm water and keep trying to spin the candle loose. I try not to rock it to pull it out because it has popped the glass - spinning does work.



I guess Micheal's would have wicks to make your own candles, but 
I don't know - I haven't checked yet.


Have you ever made your own candles?
Do you have any tricks you use to help keep your candles lasting longer?


Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. My husband made candles in the past using soda cans as molds and just ordered some pillar molds. My mom bought 5 slabs (apx 12" x 18" x 2 1/2")of candle wax way back in the 70's when I was a teenager. Candle making was very popular, especially bright orange ones with a franjipani scent!(I remember that name, but have no idea what it smells like!)We used 1 slab making candles and my mom had 4 slabs left. We brought 2 of those leftover slabs with us when we moved to NC 11 years ago & they are STILL sitting in our basement! Hoping we can make some candles soon.
    Great tips on perking up your candles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I have some votive cups with wax stuck in the bottom I pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and they melt just enough to come out. A bit of water (about a 1/4" of water) at the bottom of a glass candle holder also keeps the wax from sticking to the bottom if it drips. I would also recommend trimming your wick to about a 1/4" after every burn. You can use a nail clipper, but they make special wick trimmers now that trims it perfectly, and it really helps to make your candles last longer.
    Another great discovery I've made is the tea lights at World Market. They have a 6 hour burn time (perfect for weddings and events. With all that said, to avoid all this hot mess I would HIGHLY recommend buying wax luminaries. They burn with fuel cells (i.e. liquid paraffin votives), so you have a real flame but no burning wax! Shameless so say, but that is my business (www.illuminationsds.com) and they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ALWAYS end up with wax stuck in the bottom of my glass votive cups. What works for me is popping the votive cup in the freezer for 24 hours. It seems that the freezing both solidifies and shrinks the wax enough that it just pops right out (sometimes with the help of a butter knife).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog on Seasonal candles
    Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Good job
    Keep sharing more and more.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails